blodgett-calvin PART ONE
Located on the slope of a shallow oak-studded valley, this secluded one-acre was once part of a grand estate. In 1954, a house was built near the highest elevation of the site. The sense of place that the house and the native landscape represented, led the Owners to decide to sensitively extend the house and to build a series of satellite pavilions to provide for their needs.
SAN MARINO CA
AIA CALIFORNIA COUNCIL RESIDENTIAL MERIT AWARD 2015
AIA LA RESIDENTIAL ARCHITECTURE AWARD 2016
A collection of pavilions is sited in the clearings of mature oaks, and for the vantage point of the main house.
In the desire minimize their perceived footprints, the project is an exercise in blurring figure and ground; building and landscape.
Each pavilion evolves its geometric alignment as they move across the site, from the cardinal order of the house to the shifting form of the land.
Roofs become ground planes, inside becomes outside; each structure supporting a relationship or a pursuit that matters deeply to the Owners.